JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Former Jacksonville Jaguars linebacker Telvin Smith has pleaded not guilty to charges of unlawful sexual activity with certain minors, per Duval County court records.
Smith entered the plea in writing via his attorney.
Smith has a May 20 court date, according to records. If convicted, he faces up to 15 years in prison.
He was arrested April 29 by the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office at his home after a six-month investigation. Per Florida Statute 794.05, the charge of unlawful sexual activity with certain minors is a second-degree felony and applies to any person 24 or older who engages in sexual activity with a person 16 or 17 years old.
ESPN obtained a copy of the arrest warrant, and in it, Smith is accused of having sex with a 17-year-old girl multiple times, both at his home and in his vehicle, last August and September. The victim told Smith the day they first met she had recently turned 17 and a witness corroborated that, per the report.
The warrant also states that Smith offered the victim $200 while driving her back to her car after their first sexual encounter, and that he told the victim not to tell anyone about the encounter because he could go to jail. The victim eventually accepted $100 from Smith, who also asked the victim to say he was her “mentor” if anyone asked about them meeting, per the warrant.
Find out the latest on COVID-19’s impact on the sports world and when sports are returning by subscribing to Breaking News push notifications in the Sports and COVID-19 section.
The Bundesliga, which was suspended in March with nine rounds remaining due to the coronavirus pandemic, received permission from the German government on Wednesday to resume its season in the second half of May.
It will become the first major soccer league to return after the coronavirus forced non-essential businesses to shutter across Europe and the world.
Matches will be played without fans and behind closed doors, and clubs must continue to follow strict hygiene protocol.
No more than 322 people will be allowed inside each stadium, according to German outlet DW, and players will be required to stay 1.5 meters from one another in the dressing room.
The earliest the Bundesliga can return is May 15, according to ESPN’s Stephan Uersfeld. A meeting will take place Thursday between German soccer officials to determine a concrete date.
Clubs have been training for nearly a month at their facilities despite the ongoing health crisis.
However, there are signs the curve is flattening in Germany. The daily number of infections has dropped below 1,000, leading Chancellor Angela Merkel to announce Wednesday that the country has “reached the goal of slowing down the spread of the virus.”
Soccer officials initially hoped to resume play May 9, only for the government to delay its decision on easing restrictions.
Players in the top two tiers of German soccer underwent a first round of testing this week, with 10 positive results emerging from a total of 1,724 samples.
FC Koln announced last week that three of their players tested positive for COVID-19. The club resumed training as normal on Monday.
Christian Seifert, the Bundesliga’s chief executive, said in March that 56,000 jobs depended on the league. On Wednesday, he estimated that around 50% of teams in the second division would’ve faced the threat of bankruptcy if the season was canceled, according to The New York Times’ Tariq Panja. He also feared a loss of €300 million in television revenue.
“Games without fans are not an ideal solution. But for some clubs, it’s the only option for surviving this crisis and keeping the league in its current form,” Seifert said in a statement.
Borussia Monchengladbach already made plans to mimic the atmosphere of regular Bundesliga matches, ordering cardboard cutouts of their fans to fill the empty seats.
OWINGS MILLS, Md. — The Baltimore Ravens re-signed Pernell McPhee to a one-year contract Tuesday, adding the veteran outside linebacker after not addressing edge rusher in the NFL draft.
McPhee, 31, will compete for playing time at the Ravens’ rush linebacker position with Jaylon Ferguson and Jihad Ward.
He was having a resurgent season in his return to Baltimore last season before missing the final nine games with torn triceps. He was a physical presence along the line of scrimmage, recording 19 tackles and three sacks (second most on the team at the time) in the first six games.
1 Related
“He wanted to prove himself. He wanted to get back on track and demonstrate that he still could play,” coach John Harbaugh said when McPhee was placed on injured reserve. “I see no reason why he can’t recover from the triceps injury and be back next year stronger than ever.”
A fifth-round pick by Baltimore in 2011, McPhee reunited with the Ravens after spending four mostly forgettable seasons with the Chicago Bears and Washington Redskins. He provided leadership for a defense that lost Terrell Suggs, C.J. Mosley and Eric Weddle.
Durability has been a major issue with McPhee, who hasn’t played a full season since 2014. In his past five seasons, McPhee has missed more games (24) than sacks recorded (17), primarily because of problems with his knees.
With McPhee sidelined, Ferguson held his own last season with 31 tackles and 2.5 sacks.
Though we almost certainly won’t see wild spending in this summer’s transfer market, that doesn’t mean clubs will simply sit idly by. Europe’s top sides all have needs to address – and some are more glaring than others. Here’s a look at the areas the continent’s biggest clubs need to improve, and realistic targets each one may look to sign.
Premier League
Arsenal

Pablo Mari has had few opportunities to earn a permanent deal at Arsenal before his loan from Flamengo expires, and 19-year-old William Saliba can’t be expected to immediately assume a starting role when he severs ties with Saint-Etienne. It would take a big fee to pry Upamecano from RB Leipzig, so Nunez might be a more realistic recruit for Mikel Arteta’s backline.
Chelsea
Chelsea have an exciting crop of wingers in Hakim Ziyech, Callum Hudson-Odoi, and Christian Pulisic, but Frank Lampard wants a ruthless centerpiece in his attack. Aubameyang fits that profile, and he may be available if Arsenal boss Arteta needs to raise funds for a squad overhaul. The 21-year-old Osimhen, meanwhile, raised his profile with 13 goals during the 2019-20 Ligue 1 campaign.
Liverpool

It’s probably a stretch to call this a “glaring” need, but Jurgen Klopp could look to add even more firepower to his side this summer. Rumors linking Liverpool with RB Leipzig hotshot Werner aren’t going away, and though Divock Origi has stepped up in big moments at Anfield, the German would be a massive upgrade and seems keen on the switch.
Manchester City
City were punished for their decision to not replace Vincent Kompany. Their options at center-back while Aymeric Laporte was sidelined were Fernandinho, Nicolas Otamendi, John Stones, and Eric Garcia. That’s not good enough for a club with Champions League aspirations. Skriniar will be pricey, but the 25-year-old would make a fine addition to Pep Guardiola’s XI.
Manchester United

- Position of need: Attacking midfield or winger
- Realistic targets: Jack Grealish (Aston Villa), Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund)
United have been linked with a host of wingers and playmakers in recent months, with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wanting more scoring chances for frontmen Marcus Rashford, Anthony Martial, and Mason Greenwood. Reports of the club’s interest in Grealish seem the likeliest to precede a transfer, though United fans would rapturously receive a swoop for Manchester City product Sancho.
Tottenham Hotspur
The previously airtight partnership of Toby Alderweireld and Jan Vertonghen has become Tottenham’s most glaring weakness and necessitated this season’s surprising promotion of Japhet Tanganga to the first-team fold. The tigerish Tanganga can’t compensate for Spurs’ defensive decline on his own, though, so Jose Mourinho must buy a center-back.
La Liga
Atletico Madrid

Atletico Madrid midfielders are hot property in the transfer market, and Thomas Partey is a probable departee when business reopens. Los Colchoneros can be shrewd when searching for a replacement: Rakitic is nearing the final year of his contract in Catalonia, and there shouldn’t be too much competition to sign Espanyol’s Roca.
Barcelona
Barcelona are reportedly pursuing Juventus’ Miralem Pjanic and Tottenham flop Tanguy Ndombele, but their need for a striker is obvious. The club’s presidential elections are due next year, so expect the embattled Josep Maria Bartomeu to spend big on a return for Neymar or to sign one of the game’s best young forwards in Martinez. Antoine Griezmann, meanwhile, could be pushed out.
Real Madrid

- Position of need: Galactico
- Realistic targets: Paul Pogba (Manchester United), Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund)
Real Madrid appear likely to snap up a Ligue 1 prospect such as Rennes’ Eduardo Camavinga or Lyon’s Rayan Cherki, but a new Galactico is expected after Eden Hazard and Luka Jovic endured disappointing debut campaigns in the Spanish capital. Pogba is a long-term target for Los Blancos, while Sancho would provide versatility on the flanks and nudge Gareth Bale closer to the exit.
Serie A
AC Milan
- Position of need: Striker
- Realistic targets: Luka Jovic (Real Madrid), Dries Mertens (Napoli)
AC Milan need a lot of help right now, but a long-term No. 9 stands out as the most glaring issue; Zlatan Ibrahimovic is 38 and his contract expires in June. But creativity in the market will be key for a club mired in financial difficulty. An initial loan for Jovic – with a view toward a permanent deal – might interest Real Madrid, while snapping up Mertens on a free seems like a no-brainer.
Inter Milan

Inter Milan have given the keys to Antonio Conte to craft the squad as he desires. That means the wing-back positions are of the utmost importance, as the Italian’s tried-and-true system depends on tireless work up and down the flanks. The likes of Ashley Young, Victor Moses, and Antonio Candreva simply won’t cut it for a team with title aspirations.
Juventus
- Position of need: Central midfield
- Realistic targets: Sandro Tonali (Brescia), Arthur (Barcelona)
Juventus’ midfield has long been crying out for an injection of vigor, with the absence of Pogba still looming large. Though the Italian side would surely love to re-sign the Frenchman, the funds required to do so make it unlikely, especially in the current economic climate. In-demand teen Tonali could be the long-term answer in Turin, while the wildly underrated Arthur would also be a coup.
Bundesliga
Bayern Munich

- Position of need: Attacking midfield
- Realistic target: Kai Havertz (Bayer Leverkusen)
There’s not much to be done to improve arguably the deepest squad in world football; Bayern Munich are loaded. One area they could look to strengthen, though, is attacking midfield. Philippe Coutinho is unlikely to be retained when his loan spell ends, and Thomas Muller, though rejuvenated under Hansi Flick, is 30 years old. Havertz, the rising German star, is a natural fit.
Borussia Dortmund
Achraf Hakimi is almost certain to return to Real Madrid when his loan spell at Borussia Dortmund ends this summer, leaving a glaring hole at right-back for Lucien Favre. Rumors of an agreement with impending free agent Meunier persist, while Hateboer could potentially be a shrewd signing after enjoying a breakout campaign with Atalanta this season.
Ligue 1
Paris Saint-Germain

Right-back or left-back, take your pick. Paris Saint-Germain are destined to lose both Meunier and Layvin Kurzawa to free transfers this summer. With club president Nasser Al-Khelaifi anticipating “colossal” financial losses due to the ongoing pandemic, an unusually understated move for the likes of De Sciglio or Telles might be the French champions’ only feasible option.