-
The 29-year-old Gordon was suspended indefinitely in December for violations of the league’s policies on performance-enhancing substances and substances of abuse. He applied for reinstatement in mid-June with the hope that his indefinite suspension would be lifted in time to sign with a team and participate in training camp.
Gordon will be an unrestricted free agent if and when he is reinstated. Sources have told ESPN that he’s interested in a reunion with the Seahawks. Gordon caught seven passes for 139 yards in five games with the Seahawks, who claimed the one-time Pro Bowler when he was released off injured reserve by the New England Patriots in November.
“It’s not in our hands,” Carroll said. “Josh did a really good job with us last year. He fit in really well. He was part of this team by the way we opened and embraced his coming to us but also by the way he adapted. So we are very open to that thought, and we’ll see what happens. I don’t know. I can’t tell you what’s going to happen on that.”
The Seahawks signed Phillip Dorsett to compete with David Moore to be the team’s No. 3 wide receiver behind Tyler Lockett and DK Metcalf. Seattle’s depth chart at the position also includes 2019 seventh-round pick John Ursua and 2020 sixth-rounder Freddie Swain.
MINNEAPOLIS — The Minnesota Vikings and general manager Rick Spielman have agreed to a multiyear contract extension, the team announced Monday.
Spielman’s new deal is believed to run through the 2023 season, according to league sources, which would keep him in line with head coach Mike Zimmer, who recently received a three-year contract extension.
“I know every day we come to this building, and the only thing that we want to accomplish is to win a Super Bowl. There’s no one that deserves that honor more than our ownership, this organization and especially our fans. I promise you that when we come in here every day, that is our ultimate goal. Very excited about the extension and look forward to the future,” Spielman said.
Spielman, who has worked with Zimmer since the 2014 season, calls their shared vision “the same” going into 2020.
1 Related
“When Coach Zim came and we hired him as our head coach, we had a vision of how we wanted to build this team,” Spielman said. “I know this year we have a lot of new faces that are coming into the organization, a lot of new players, a totally different challenge because the coaches haven’t been able to work with these players until this time when we’re technically kind of opening up training camp.
“But I think it’s sticking to your principles, sticking to everything that you believe in on how you build a winning culture. He’s talked about it numerous times, from the type of players that we want to bring in that are smart, very passionate, high-character guys off the field. But also I think it’s not only the players, but there’s gotta be that culture with the coaching staff, there’s gotta be that culture with everybody under the football operations umbrella, and when you can bring all that together with the same goals, the same common vision, I think that’s where you hopefully will make the breakthrough.”
Like Zimmer, Spielman had one year remaining on his deal before receiving an extension.
“Rick has been outstanding in his role as Vikings general manager,” Vikings co-owner and team president Mark Wilf said in a statement. “We are excited and honored to have him continue to lead our efforts to build a championship roster and first-class organization. With Rick’s and Coach Zimmer’s leadership in place, we are in a great position to continue to compete for a Super Bowl.”
Spielman is entering his 15th season in Minnesota after joining the club as the vice president of player personnel in 2006 before moving into his role as general manager on Jan. 3, 2012. Under his leadership, Spielman has made more draft picks — 93 — than any other general manager over the past eight years.
The Vikings have made the postseason in four of Spielman’s eight seasons as general manager and reached the NFC Championship Game during the 2017 season. Minnesota’s .570 winning percentage (72-54-2) since 2012 ranks ninth in the NFL and is the fourth best in the NFC over that eight-season span.
“We appreciate Rick’s work ethic, diligence and commitment to the Vikings,” team co-owner and chairman Zygi Wilf said in the statement. “We continue to have the utmost confidence in him as we work to assemble championship-caliber teams to reach our ultimate goal of winning a world championship.”
During the 2020 NFL draft, Spielman turned 12 picks into a seven-round NFL-record 15 selections with two additional picks gained for the 2021 NFL draft through trades. The Vikings’ 2020 class is the largest since the NFL condensed its annual draft to seven rounds in 1994. It also marked Minnesota’s first 15-member class since 1985, tying for the largest overall draft class since 1976, when the team added 17 players over 17 rounds.
New York Jets middle linebacker C.J. Mosley, the most accomplished player on their defense, has decided to opt out for the 2020 season, sources told ESPN.
Mosley hasn’t commented publicly, but a source said it was due to family health reasons.
Mosley, the highest-paid player on the Jets, was due to make a total of $16 million this year. He already received $10 million in the form of a roster bonus, paid in mid-March. He was scheduled to make $6 million in base pay.
Veteran running back LeSean McCoy has reached agreement on a one-year deal with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, agent Drew Rosenhaus told ESPN’s Adam Schefter on Thursday.
“He’s very excited to play with established vets like [Tom] Brady and Gronk [Rob Gronkowski] in trying to win another championship,” Rosenhaus told ESPN.
The addition of McCoy will push Ronald Jones, who took over duties on first and second down for the Bucs last season but struggled at times in pass protection and isn’t a natural pass-catcher. McCoy also will push Dare Ogunbowale for the third-down spot.
The Bucs needed a running back who could contribute in the passing game, and McCoy has done that in previous stops. Rookie running back Ke’Shawn Vaughn was expected to help in this area, but he was placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list this week.
Totals | Ranks | |
---|---|---|
Rec | 503 | 2nd |
Rec yds | 3,797 | 3rd |
Rec TD | 16 | 6th |
— Since rookie season in 2009 | ||
— ESPN Stats & Information |
In April, McCoy told SiriusXM NFL Radio that he’s not ready to retire and hoped to play two more seasons.
McCoy, 32, was reunited with coach Andy Reid shortly before the start of last season after signing a one-year contract with the