-
Nick Wagoner, ESPN Staff WriterDec 13, 2024, 01:04 AM ET
Close- Nick Wagoner is an NFL reporter at ESPN. Nick has covered the San Francisco 49ers and the NFL at ESPN since 2016, having previously covered the St. Louis Rams for 12 years, including three years (2013 to 2015) at ESPN. In his 10 years with the company, Nick has led ESPN’s coverage of the Niners’ 2019 Super Bowl run, Colin Kaepernick’s protest, the Rams making Michael Sam the first openly gay player drafted to the NFL, Sam’s subsequent pursuit of a roster spot and the team’s relocation and stadium saga. You can follow Nick via Twitter @nwagoner
SANTA CLARA, Calif. — With injuries to their linebackers accumulating in the middle of the third quarter Thursday night against the Los Angeles Rams, the San Francisco 49ers turned to veteran De’Vondre Campbell to enter the game.
Campbell declined the invitation.
Then, in the fourth quarter, Campbell walked to the locker room with a towel over his head without playing a snap. After the Niners’ 12-6 defeat at Levi’s Stadium, head coach Kyle Shanahan explained that Campbell elected not to enter the game even though linebackers Dre Greenlaw (knee) and Dee Winters (neck) were dealing with injuries.
“He said he didn’t want to play today,” Shanahan said.
Editor’s Picks
1 Related
Campbell’s decision and subsequent stroll to the locker room left Shanahan, teammates and coaches fuming after the loss. Shanahan said the plan was for Campbell to enter the game after Greenlaw had departed because he was dealing with some knee soreness. It was also Greenlaw’s first game back from an Achilles injury he sustained in Super Bowl LVIII.
After Campbell said no, the Niners inserted Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles, the team’s only healthy linebacker left on the roster, into the game. When the third quarter ended, Campbell walked to the locker room.
“People noticed, but when someone says that, you move on,” Shanahan said. “That’s somebody who doesn’t want to play football. That’s pretty simple. I think our team and myself, we know how we feel about that, so we don’t need to talk about him anymore.”
When asked whether Campbell would be released, Shanahan said simply, “We’ll figure out something.”
In the aftermath of a dispiriting defeat that almost certainly ends San Francisco’s chances at a playoff berth, a few of Campbell’s teammates declined to speak on the situation because word was just making its way around the locker room about what had happened. Linebacker Fred Warner and defensive end Nick Bosa said they didn’t know enough details to offer much of an opinion.
“It’s one person making a selfish decision. I’ve never been around anybody that’s ever done that, and I hope I’m never around anybody who does that again.”
-
Marc Raimondi, ESPN Staff WriterDec 12, 2024, 01:15 PM ET
FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. — The Atlanta Falcons have a plan for quarterback Michael Penix Jr.’s development, and coach Raheem Morris said that plan does not include putting the rookie in “too early.”
Falcons starter Kirk Cousins has struggled mightily with eight interceptions and no touchdown passes over the past four weeks. He threw four interceptions against the Los Angeles Chargers in Week 13 and another two against the Minnesota Vikings last week.
After once holding a commanding division lead, Atlanta (6-7) has lost four straight and is now in second place in the NFC South. The situation has caused fans and pundits to call for Penix, the eighth overall pick in the 2024 NFL draft, to get a chance to start.
Editor’s Picks
2 Related
Morris has maintained that Cousins is the starter, has earned the opportunity to right the ship and is the man who gives the team the best chance to win. On Thursday, Morris also said there are considerations about not using Penix in a situation where it could mess up his development.
“I told you right from the beginning, he’s our future,” Morris said of Penix. “… And to be able to have the respect, to be able to have the confidence, to be able to have the wherewithal to support Kirk and all this stuff, too, it’s a great learning lesson for him as well. So, when you go through all that process, you can look at different organizations [that have] pulled the trigger and put guys out there too early and it’s gone terrible, and I don’t want to be that guy.”
Morris didn’t detail the franchise’s plan for Penix, only saying he was the future and he’d get the chance “when it’s time.” And that time isn’t right now while Atlanta still believes in Cousins turning things around before it becomes a lost season.
“For me, it’s the ultimate encouragement and backing for my building and for my state of the union to go out there and support [Cousins],” Morris said. “So, to say benching doesn’t cross your mind, you’ve always got to consider those things if you feel like it’s something that’s … irreparable or whatever the case may be.
“But I don’t feel that way. I feel like [Cousins is] going to come out of this thing and he’s going to go on a run here and get us to do the things that we need to do.”
The Falcons visit the
“We are essentially playing playoff-type football right now,” Morris said. “All these games become must-wins, except the only thing different right now is you don’t go home.”
-
Jake Trotter, ESPN Senior WriterDec 11, 2024, 11:08 AM ET
Close- Jake Trotter covers college football for ESPN. He joined ESPN in 2011. Before that, he worked at The Oklahoman, Austin American-Statesman and Middletown (Ohio) Journal newspapers. You can follow him @Jake_Trotter.
Michigan Wolverines junior cornerback Will Johnson has declared for the NFL draft, he announced on social media Wednesday.
Johnson is the No. 2 prospect in ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper’s latest Big Board rankings.
Johnson played in only six games this year because of a foot injury but still returned interceptions for touchdowns in wins over Fresno State and USC.
Michigan defensive tackle Mason Graham also declared for the draft this week. He’s projected to be a high first-round pick as well.
Michigan junior defensive tackle Mason Graham has declared for the NFL draft and hired agents Drew Rosenhaus and Ryan Matha to represent him.
“We expect Mason to get drafted in the top five picks,” Rosenhaus told ESPN’s Adam Schefter on Tuesday.
Editor’s Picks
1 Related
Graham is the No. 5 prospect in ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper’s latest Big Board rankings.
Graham (6-foot-3, 320 pounds) is an Outland Trophy finalist this year and a two-time All-Big Ten selection. He was a second-team All-America pick in 2023.
He has 46 tackles (24 solo) and 3.5 sacks this season, and 108 tackles (61 solo) and 9 sacks over his three years at Michigan.