DAVIE, Fla. — The Miami Dolphins waived running Jordan Howard on Monday in what coach Brian Flores called a “mutual parting.”
Howard, who signed a two-year, $9.75 million deal with $4.75 million guaranteed in March, has been a free-agent disappointment for Miami. He will go on waivers; Howard, and the rest of his prorated $1.75 million salary, will be up for grabs for anyone to claim.
“A lot of respect for him and respect for the way he worked. No ill will, just thought it was best for both parties,” Flores said.
One of Europe’s most exciting young players could be on the move this winter.
Red Bull Salzburg head coach Jesse Marsch admitted he expects Dominik Szoboszlai to join a new club in the January transfer window after a series of eye-catching performances for the Austrian side and Hungary.
“The reality is that a guy like Dominik Szoboszlai is likely to have many suitors this winter. He’s an incredible talent,” Marsch said on the “Futbol with Grant Wahl” podcast.
The American added, “Let’s see what happens, but I would be surprised if he winds up staying past winter.”
Szoboszlai, 20, captured worldwide attention for his most recent goal. With the score tied at 1-1 and the game ticking toward extra-time, the Hungarian playmaker carried the ball from his own half and to the edge of Iceland’s box before unleashing a low drive into the bottom corner. The goal punched Hungary’s ticket for next summer’s European Championship.
Szoboszlai just casually walked it in, what a day for Hungarian football ???????? pic.twitter.com/pIaWEegLUd
— Feri (@GalacticosRtg) November 12, 2020
Szoboszlai’s exploits have sparked rumors that he’ll move to one of the biggest clubs on the continent, including Salzburg-affiliated club RB Leipzig and Bayern Munich in the German Bundesliga. Italian giants AC Milan have also been linked to the young star.
“He is a gem,” German icon Lothar Matthaus said in an interview with Munchner Abendzeitung over the weekend, as translated by Goal. “He’s like Kai Havertz.
“He could move to RB Leipzig in January, but I’m convinced that every top club in Europe has him on their list, including FC Bayern.”
Szoboszlai has contributed one goal and five assists across seven appearances in the Austrian Bundesliga this season.
The New Orleans Saints are facing significant discipline for not wearing masks during their postgame celebrations last Sunday night — as seen in videos they posted to social media, including the team’s own Twitter account — after their victory over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, league sources told ESPN.
Video of Saints players and head coach Sean Payton dancing and celebrating their 38-3 victory over Tampa Bay trended last Sunday night. Multiple players were clearly not wearing masks during the celebration in the locker room, which is a violation of the NFL’s COVID-19 protocols — and the league noticed, according to sources.
The Saints are facing stiff fines and the loss of a draft pick, similar to the action the NFL took against the Raiders earlier this month, when Las Vegas was fined $500,000, head coach Jon Gruden was fined $150,000 and the franchise was stripped of a sixth-round pick for COVID-19 protocol violations.
-
1 Related
The Seahawks’ available running backs against the Rams will be rookie DeeJay Dallas, Travis Homer and Collins plus fullback Nick Bellore. Dallas has started the last two games but Homer out-snapped him last week 31 to 20 while Collins played 13 snaps in his first game since 2018. Dallas leads Seattle’s running backs over that span with 72 rushing yards and two touchdowns on 25 carries.
The Seahawks will also be without their top two cornerbacks Sunday with Shaquill Griffin (hamstring) and Quinton Dunbar (knee) ruled out. Tre Flowers will fill one starting spot, but it’s not clear who will fill the other. Thorpe, Seattle’s captain on special teams, is one candidate. Others include Linden Stephens, D.J. Reed and Ryan Neal, who previously started at strong safety while Jamal Adams was out.
The Seahawks are 6-2 despite allowing the most passing yards (2,897) through eight games in NFL history, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. In fact, no team has ever allowed that many passing yards through nine games.
Harrison has been waiting to make his Seahawks debut since joining their practice squad on Oct. 7. The holdup initially was that the 350-pound, 31-year-old Harrison had to work himself back into football shape. He had been undecided over the offseason about playing in 2020 due to concerns about the coronavirus pandemic, which he said were eased once he saw how the league was handling travel protocols and other safety measures.
Seahawks coach Pete Carroll has said for the last few weeks that Harrison is physically ready to play. The holdup, according to Carroll, has been the absence of an opening in Seattle’s defensive-tackle rotation, which has consisted of Jarran Reed, Poona Ford and Mone. The ankle injury that landed Mone on IR creates that opening.
“We had a plan when I was coming in,” Harrison said Thursday in his first comments to reporters since joining the Seahawks. “I needed to work myself back into football shape. The only way you can get into football shape is actually playing football, so I was at home working out, trying to do as much as I could without exposing myself in too many public situations. But I spoke to the coach, I spoke to the general manager before I got here and we knew it was going to be a process. That’s why I’ve been OK with it just working from the ground up.”
The Seahawks will also be without starting center Ethan Pocic (concussion) against the Rams. Kyke Fuller will make his first career start in Pocic’s absence.