-
Rich CiminiMar 10, 2025, 02:46 PM ET
Close- Rich Cimini is a staff writer who covers the New York Jets and the NFL at ESPN. Rich has covered the Jets for over 30 years, joining ESPN in 2010. Rich also hosts the Flight Deck podcast. He previously was a beat writer for the New York Daily News and is a graduate of Syracuse University.
FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — One month after saying goodbye to Aaron Rodgers, the New York Jets addressed the quarterback position on the first day of free agent negotiating period, agreeing to terms Monday with former Pittsburgh Steelers backup Justin Fields, sources told ESPN’s Adam Schefter.
Fields, 26, will sign a two-year, $40 million contract that includes $30 million in guarantees, the sources said. The former Chicago Bears first-round pick is expected to be the Jets’ opening-day starter, ahead of holdover backup Tyrod Taylor, but this isn’t a long-term commitment. The Jets, who also could add a quarterback in the draft, can reevaluate the position after the 2025 season.
Rodgers has emerged as a quarterback option for the Steelers, league sources told Schefter on Monday.
Editor’s Picks
2 Related
This is a major move for the Jets’ new regime, headed by general manager Darren Mougey and coach Aaron Glenn, who lured him away from the Steelers. They identified Fields as the player they want to lead the franchise into a new era.
The Jets landed Fields after losing four major contributors on Monday — right tackle